Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The art of Ebay

It occurred to me today, as I was looking over some past blog postings, that I have never blogged about the art that is here. One of my reasons for starting this blog, was to post the paintings that I sell on line, on eBay. under the name : palangolini. Yet, it seems odd that I never mention them or eBay.

Ebay is a very interesting phenomenon. It is sort of like that hand held, electronic game of 20 questions. I think it is called 20Q. No matter what you are thinking of--even the obscure--the toy always gets the answer.

If you go to eBay, and do a search for just about anything, odds are you're going to find it. It is remarkable. One time I tried to think of something unebayable. Yet, I found in my search, that someone was, indeed, trying to unload a purple, rubber pig, circa 1969. Wow.

Art is a category unto itself on eBay. You can find a painting for $1.00 or $100.000. Yet, you are most likely to find something under $100.00. In fact probably close to 90% of art will fall into that range. This is great for buyers--not as good for sellers.

The fantasy art category (in which my art is often found) is a world of its own. It is filled with artists that have carved out a niche among the 10,000+ paintings that are for sale on any given day on eBay. Some of the favorite subject that loyal fantasy art lovers crave are Mermaids, fairies, unicorns, Pegasus (you get the idea). I always thought it would be nice to just combine them into one big painting--perhaps a mermaid with wings riding a Pegasus as he flies over a unicorn. Any eBay artist would appreciate its marketability.

One type of painting that is particularly popular is the ACEO, which stands for Art Card Edition Original. (They are 2.5" x 3.5") These are like trading cards, and are collected and traded. Check them out sometime. They are a fun item.

Fantasy art is well suited to the ACEO. Although, as an artist I find them difficult to paint without magnifying glasses.

The world of eBay art can be a rather cut throat environment, believe it or not. There are artists who actually contact other artists to complain that they are encroaching on there subject matter. One person emailed me to complain that I was painting a breed of dog that she painted. I guess she felt she had the monopoly on that breed. Yes, dogs doing cute human things is defiantly off limits, since she paints them. I guess she never saw "Dogs playing Poker." she might have sued.

Sometimes I can't shake the feeling, that fantasy art painters are probably frowned upon by some eBay artists. But, we do have staying power. As long as there is a Mermaid, Corgi dog, or Cat lover out there who seeks cute and colorful paintings, we will deliver. Now, go, my friends. Go to eBay and behold the many works of art that await you and your Pay Pal account.

No comments: