Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dogs and Katz

Sometimes I read things that really get under my skin. Sometimes I read
things that bug me enough, that I actually feel the need to make my eyes and neck sore, by sitting in front of my LED computer screen typing with my tendonitis inflicted wrist and elbow. I hold the Chicago Tribune, and today's piece by Eric Zorn resposible for today's Fibromyalgia flare up.

The Tribs staff writter wrote about a new book entitled: Soul of a Dog. Apparantly, some bonehead wrote this book about how dogs are not capable of love.
I don't want to print the afore mentioned "bonehead," but, I think he has a lot of nerve stating this as a fact. Yes, accorinding to, (Oh, what the hell) John Katz, dogs are not happy to see you when they wag their tail or lick your face. No, these are just "Opportunisitc, maipulative behaviors." (Maybe he was thinking of teenagers instead of dogs.)

He also says that a dog's attatchment to you is (contrary to what we have always believed) "conditional." They really don't miss you when you're gone. And a dog's owner can be easily replaced by anyone who feeds and and scratches his head. (The dog's) So much for the notion of the "loyal companion ."

Thanks a lot Katz. Why don't you hunt down some preschoolers and tell them the Easter Bunny is a sham, while your at it.

Interestingly, this Katz actually owns dogs--and still he believes this. I guess he's done a lot of research and studies to back up these claims. But, I am wondering--how could he, or anyone, possibly know what or how a dog thinks? I mean, what was that dog, that recently ran into traffic on a busy highway to pull his injured buddy to safety, thinking? Google it. It is an amazing story. But, according to Katz, dogs don't have narrative minds or human qualties. I don't know many humans that will run in front of a car to save a pal. Do you?

Yes, dogs are different from humans--they live in the moment and don't hold grudges. But, I think this Katz has a hell of a lot of nerve to make assertions that mock the notions we hold about our canine companions. Dogs did not get the labels of loyal and loving for nothing.

What is the point in destroying our perceptions? I have not read this book, and am getting the information from Zorn, but I have to wonder why the book is entitled: "Soul of a dog." Katz doesn't seem to think dogs have much "soul"

It is true, that we humans tend to project our qualities on cute little animals. Every talking mouse cartoon, belies that, but, anyone who has looked into the eyes of his or her pooch, knows that Katz has it all wrong--all wrong. But, then, what do you expect from a guy named "Katz?"

No comments: