Friday, May 8, 2009

Edwardian drama

I think most women who watched Oprah interview Elizibeth Edwards on Thursday, were probably thinking the same thing. Why? What was the purpose of the interview? Perhaps it was cathartic. But, why dredge up the muck?

Mrs Edwards has had a lot of misery in her life. No doubt. But, I can't help wonder what she was thinking in writing the book at all. It is entitled: "Resilience." But, the woman I watched and listened to, did not seem resilient. She seemed resigned. She was a little ticked off (as well she should). She appeared to be sad. It was like she had been painted into a corner and the only way out without getting her feet wet, was to line the floor with pages about herself. But, she has taken a rigid stance on certain things in order to tolerate them. It is only natural to feel that way. But, one of those things, is the child, that it is speculated, was born out of the affair of John Edwards and the woman Elizabeth did not want named in the interview. She said that the child had nothing to do with her. It has nothing to do with her life. Maybe, but she has something to do with John Edwards, if he is, indeed the father--and he is a part of her life. Her children might have a half sister. So, how does that work exactly?

An innocent child should not suffer because it was the result of lousy and selfish judgents of her parents. She has a right to know him. Mrs. Dole does not derserve more pain, but, it is what it is.

In the interview at the Edwards sprawling estate (30,000) square feet. (Who needs that much room-yikes) Oprah corners John Edwards in a hall way. It is an uncomfortable exchange. You can see him squirm, praying internally, for it to end. The guy is a weasal.

I don't know about you, but, when something humiliating happens to me, the last thing I want to do is, wait for it to die down, then, invite the entire world to my house to talk about it. If I had a terminal illness, I don't think I would want that as part of my legacy. But, people are different. Perhaps Elizabeth Dole, felt the need to speak her mind on the subject, while she was able, so no one could put words in her mouth later. I would not, maybe you would not--but, she did. Unfortunately, it is a sad fact, that, unlike people, interviews, once on film, live forever.

No comments: