Saturday, February 7, 2009

Leave it to Beaver's friends.

There's somthing to be said about Eddie Haskell. He might have been a weasle--but at least he was a polite weasle. I realize that that might appear like a random statement, in light of my continued postponement of the mice story conclusion, but, just think about it. Eddie was always coming around the Beave's house, brown nosing Mr. and Mrs. Cleaver. And , they were fully away of his phony persona, yet, they could say nothing about it. They were helpless to put an end to the pretense. What could they do? They couldn't smack Eddie and tell him to knock it off. Although, back then, DCFS probably wouldn't have faulted them if they did. But, no, they had to smile and take it.
Every day when Walley would bring Ole' Eddie by--The Cleaver's knew the drill.

"Hi, Mr. Cleaver, Mrs Cleaver. How are you today?"

"Fine, thank you Eddie." Mrs Cleaver would respond, in an unappreciative tone, slightly dripping of sarcasm.

Hey, I was right with you in wanting to throw Eddie up agains the wall and rubbing that smug smile off of his face, but, I will tell you this-- I would take ten Eddie Haskell's greetings to one greeting of the present generation. These days, when kid comes over to my house, I am lucky if I am even acknowledged, let alone greeted. And, it is almost a given that I will be addressed by my first name. Can you imagine Eddie calling Wally's mom, June? She was probably waiting for that, so she could call Ward in to throw him out. But, that day never came. And it never would, because kids back then were taught manners.

I don't know what happened to that concept. I have seen kids that I have known for 10 years, and who have been at my home, many times, walk right passed me on the sidewalk, without so much as a glint of recognition. It seems odd to me. Do I have invisible powers that I was not aware of?

I am sure that my own kids fall short in the manners department on many occasions. But, I know that they are not calling adults by their first name. So, I have succeeded on some small level. I think it would be nice, if we tried a little harder to get our kids to be polite as often as possible. Don't they say that manners are the lubricant of society? I am afraid that in the coming generations, society is going to be very dry indeed.

Jeepers, I wasn't trying to give you guys the business, I know the truth stinks. But, if we all try really hard to be more polite--think how keen it would be.

No comments: