Monday, February 2, 2009

Life's a trip

I am definitely going to get the Deer mice conclusion tomorrow. Trust me--it’s coming. And wackiness will ensue.

But, after just falling half way down my stairs, I got to wondering why these things keep happening to me. People have called me clumsy. I wish that I were clumsy, because that would be desirable improvement to what I am. I have, in the past year alone, broken my collar bone, fractured ribs, collapsed a lung, fractured a toe, whacked my elbow on a wall corner, requiring a cortisone injection, hit my head on the corner of the refrigerator door, slipped on the ice, tripped on the stairs, hit my hip on the corner of a half wall, choked on a pill, bit into a piece of plastic in a Subway sandwich, bit into a rock in a Burger King hamburger, hammered my finger, and the list continues. To sum it up--I hurt myself a lot.
I have tried to figure out why I am so prone to these injuries. I have pondered it. I have considered the following possibilities:

1. I am distracted.
2. I have kids
3. I have a middle ear problem.
4. I have kids.
5. There is too much stuff in my house.
6. There is too much stuff everywhere outside of my house.
7. I have kids.

But, aside from having kids, none of these things really explain it. I know there are people out there just like me. I know they have to put up with the slings and arrows of the “graceful” clique who tease and make fun. Those smug ones that walk in a straight line, never catch a toe on uneven sidewalks, or get a finger caught in a car door. The “coordinated” ones.

Then I got to thinking, I am prone because I am always moving? I don’t like to stay in one place too long. I feel lazy if I do. And, perhaps those people who never get hurt, spend a lot of time laying around. I don’t recall any of my injuries taking place in front of the T.V. eating Cheetos or taking a nap. Maybe the graceful are just slothful. Maybe, they don’t take the same risks as I or my fellow stumblers. Maybe they choose the safe routes when we take the less path less traveled. Maybe , just maybe we get hurt because we dare to venture.
Then again--we might just have really bad vision and are uncoordinated. But, I like to think we are special. Yes, we have fallen, choked, been sliced up, fractured, broken, skinned, scarred, bruised, contused, bumped, ended up with one "itis" or another--but, we are still here. We managed to trip and fall .... have live to fall again. That's right world--look out.

No comments: